14 July 2011, 17:00
Georgia: NGO activists offer to bail out arrested photographers
In Georgia the human rights activists plan to start collecting signatures on a petition for bailing out three photographers accused of espionage for Russia. The initiative was announced by Nino Tsikhistavi, the head of the NGO "Network of Caucasian Women" at the meeting with independent Georgian MPs.
"We propose to submit a petition for release on bail of the detained photographers, which will be signed by many prominent public figures. We also believe that the human rights activists should draw up a document making the assessment of the situation; and we will introduce it to our foreign colleagues," said Nino Tsikhistavi.
At the meeting MPs and human rights activists agreed on the need for a meeting with representatives of the diplomatic corps accredited in Georgia and civil society. The need for serious judicial monitoring and active intervention of the Ombudsman was also mentioned. Furthermore, the oppositional MPs once more raised the issue on establishing the parliamentary investigatory commission to investigate the facts of pressure on journalists.
Journalist Dmitry Tikaradze, who attended the meeting, believes that photographers were filed a false accusation. The real reason for detention is the resentment of Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili against his personal photographer, who shot the dispersal of the opposition rally on May 26.
"Irakli Gedenidze got the best shots from the dispersal of the opposition rally. Since everybody knew that he was a photographer of President, he was allowed to locate next to the special troops and he found a very good view for making photos. Then these photographs were given to international agencies. President Saakashvili considered this shooting as treachery and did not forgive Irakli Gedenidze," the reporter says.
Author: Inna Kukudzhanova; Source: CK correspondent
- Armenian rights defenders call on politicians to recognize Shant Arutyunyan as political prisoner
- HRC "Memorial" calls on head of Dagestan to intervene in the situation in Untsukul District
- Head of Committee "Mothers from Kuma River Area" detained in Stavropol Territory released
- Ex-Prime Minister Vano Merabishvili is sentenced to three years of imprisonment in case of Sandro Girgvliani's murder
- Leyla Yunus transferred to SIZO of Azerbaijani MNS
- Chechen law enforcers search for suspected accomplice of organizer of explosion on Grozny Day
- Prior to his disappearance in 2012, Khasan Zalikhanov, killed in Nalchik, was a policeman
- Residents of Vremenny complain to Ramazan Abdulatipov about law enforcers' actions
- ICRF: killed Aliskhanov was plotting attempt on policemen on eve of to terror act in Grozny
- MIA reports killing of organizer of terror act in Grozny